20 September 2005

Sweets for the sweet!

What a start to the day! Last night as I closed the shop I made sure I had most of the next day's fruit prep done, so I could just come in and relax and do whatever I wanted. That was a good start to the morning.

Then another mall employee that works at a gourmet candy shop came up and asked if he could use the internet for a few minutes to check something, and in exchange he'd bring me a bag of candy. This is real gourmet stuff, you know, hand made sweets. In the middle of each of the lollies is a picture of what it's meant to taste like: orange, passionfruit, strawberry, et cetera. I haven't tasted them out of fear that they may be laced with arsenic.

However, slightly more exciting than a free bag of candy also happened to me today. One of the mall managers came up to the shop with a piece of paper in her hand (turned out to be a mall comment card). She showed me that and asked if the person that wrote it was talking about me. Sure enough, at the end of it was a description of me: Tall, mid-twenties, with an American accent (how was she to know that I'm actually Canadian?). Then mall manager tells me that I've been selected as the mall employee of the month! So she then asks me if I drive, because the usualy prize for being selected mall employee of the month is two free months parking in the secure staff car park. When I say no, she tells me that she'll go away and try to organise something in place of the free parking. Then she takes my photo with a very old digital camera, says congratulations again, and walks off.

I can only imagine that either she really IS going to sort out some other prize for me, and that my face will be plastered in the next mall newletter, or she's actually a bounty hunter hired by Vodafone and she's tracked me down and is going to extradite me back to England to pay my unpaid mobile phone bill. I still haven't recieved a prize, so it's entirely possible you know...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one time, I was in New Zealand, and I topped up my phone with a $2 IOU through Vodafone and then left the country. (Insert cocking of a shotgun here) BURN!!!!!
You know who...

Gabrielle said...

Ka Pai Adam, you freaking foreigner stealing the jobs and mall titles off the locals! How exciting! I hope you get a very cool prize!!!!!!!!! Something to tell the grandkids ay! That and the big snow! You must be stoked with your week bro!!!! :)