14 July 2005

Money, money, money, MONEY!

On my way back to the house today I passed one of those bus shelter ads that was advertising Lotto tickets. The maximum amount you could win was $50,000. Then when I got back and changed into my sweat pants, I started to watch Deal Or No Deal, which has a maximum dollar amount of $200,000. So it got me thinking...

What would you do if you won a large sum of money?

Would it change the way you lived? Would you go and splurge on a whole bunch of "stuff", like a new computer and new furniture and new clothes and other "stuff"? All I could think of was paying off my friends' student loans and throwing a big party, then taking the rest of it and just keep doing what I have been doing for years. I would probably buy myself some new camera equipment and a nice Apple Powermac laptop, but for the most part I would probably just keep doing what I love. Oh, maybe I would put some aside for when I go back to Canada and want to head back to school, but I don't really think I would change that much.

Then I got to thinking about why everything costs so much, and why inflation happens. If anyone can explain to me why I have to pay $1.30 for a chocolate bar, where I could have got one for $.50 when I was a kid, please help me out. Is it "the Man??" Who is this "Man"? And can I have some of his money??

1 comment:

Myles Legacy said...

I'd come visit you Adam... only I wouldn't tell you. I'd just show up in Christchurch and ask around if anybody knows a tall, skinny Canadian bloke who likes smoothies, travelling and camera's. And then I'd get dressed up like a dirty bearded hobo and stalk you until you were good and freaked out and then I'd rip off the beard and go, "surprise!!!" and then we'd laugh, and then there'd be an awkward silence and then we'd go for a coffee or something to discuss the inevitable, "what the hell are you doing here?!"