04 October 2005

All that is old is new again.

I've noticed yet another idiot fad coming through in the youth of today. Recently we've had such gems as the fashion mullet come back into style, or the genius style of the 1980's coming back, which to me is just ridiculous. Even people that were teens in the eighties would tell you that it was complete stupidity that got them to wear such hideous articles of clothing.

Since I work in a busy shopping centre in Christchurch, New Zealand I'm able to observe quite frequently what the youth of today are up to. Mainly I just shake my head and laugh, but over the past week or so something has come to the forefront of my embarrassment for them. Somehow kids of today have decided that it's once again cool to shave interesting shapes into the sides of their heads, much like the Fresh Prince Of Bel Air used to shave ladder effects into his hair back in the early-mid nineties. I think if you were to ask Will Smith (aka. The Fresh Prince) what his biggest fashion faux-pas was in his entire life, I think he would say it was a toss-up between fluorescent clothing and funky hair designs.

Today alone I've noticed two of the youth of today with things shaved in the SIDES of their heads. One had funky ladder designs, and the other had what looked like a shockwave-esque line, much like what a heartbeat looks like on a heart monitor. I'm sure one of them was even wearing a pink polo shirt.

Now, if the youth of yesterday can see, in hindsight, that their fashion choices were horrible, why can't the youth of today see, with foresight, that their choices will inherently be horrible? Smarten up kids, think before you shave.

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

yes. that is a hideous trend. that and those STUPID black tights under mini skirts. Seriously. I HATE them!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree that the mini skirt/black tights trend DEFINATELY must stop. Especially when three friends (and this is a true story) go to see a movie wearing the EXACT SAME OUTFIT!!! I mean, they've got to have a LITTLE bit of a clue how retarded they look don't they???

Also Adam, have you noticed in your observations of fashion trends of the youth of today that the afro has come back?? I saw two kids today at northlands with GINORMOUS fros and one had a baseball cap perched precariously on top. It was hilerious. I laughed.