27 October 2005

G'day from the North of the North!

I made it, everyone, I made it as far north as you can make it in New Zealand. The sense of achievement is great, and I am a better person for it. Let's step back a little and bring you up to date, okay?

Mount Maunganui was nice, very nice indeed. We got there fairly late, after a late start to the day in Rotorua. We checked in to the hostel, dumped our stuff, and a few of us headed for the Mount, which is about the size of a pimple compared to the rest of the mountains here in New Zealand. Still, it was nice to get some exercise and the view from the "summit" was beautiful.

An early start to the day got us on the road to Auckland, and we were there by early afternoon. Just enough time to check into the hostel and have a wander around the city centre. Everyone bags Auckland and says how crappy it is, but I got a pretty good feeling from it. It's nice and green and there seems to be enough stuff to do to keep oneself busy. But then again there are lots of big cities that are exactly like it. As far as big cities go, though, I thought it was okay. I'd better like it because I'll be back there tomorrow! Haha!

Anyway, on Wednesday morning I caught the bus again for the north, and a town called Paihia. Northland New Zealand is beautiful, and the ride was great. I'm in a great hostel here (far and away the best I've been in while in New Zealand, actually), and the atmosphere is great. Yesterday I did a LONG day trip up to the northernmost tip of New Zealand, Cape Reinga, and along the way we did some sand boarding on 100metre high sand dunes. I had the most runs out of everyone, I'm pretty proud of saying...

Today I've already gone for a walk along the beach into the town centre, and this afternoon I'm going on a four hour walk to the Haruru Falls and back. I'm also going to pop into the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and inform myself of Maori/European History. Should be good I think.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Good work Adam. Lots of walking and soaking in the everything.
I haven't been to Auckland.But you have! Cool!

Peace out