18 November 2005

Golden Sand and Shimmering Water: A Heady Mix

I'm happy and exciting to say that during my time on the Outer Islands of Fiji I did not get drunk once. Considering that many people do this, what with the copious amounts of sun, sand, sea, and cocktails that are served up day after day, I didn't give in to the voices telling me to "have another". It didn't help that the local (and cheap) beer tasted like feet.

So if I had more time, or more money to afford more time, I would have included your typical "palm tree lazily leaning over crystal clear water" photo in this post as well. But since I don't it will have to wait for another time. Instead I will run through some of the things I have seen and done whilst in Fiji thus far.

-Snorkelling and seeing exotic fish of all shapes and sizes, notably clown fish (I found him! I found Nemo!), a puffer fish, a deadly lion fish, and a ray of some kind. Also brilliant coral that you can't even imagine.
-Lived on a boat for two days, which was brilliant.
-Eating amazing food, stuffing my face with seconds, thirds, and on one occassion, fourths.
-Visiting local villages and villagers, seeing a way of life that is unique and beautiful, but also sad and hard to stomach considering what us Westerners have, such as constant electricity, which many here still don't.
-Sunsets and sunrises to shame anything Disney or Pixar could imagine.

I could go on, and I wish I could, but time is running short. So for now, I'd like to wish all my friends back in New Zealand and big hello. Tam, I'll see you in Canada. Mel, I hope to see you there too, one day. Emjay, keep doing what you do best (my door is always open for you). Sarah, I love and cherish you and will always be indebted to you, even though you may not know why. To everyone else that I haven't got time to mention, all my thoughts and love.

Now I'm off to sit and read (is there anything ELSE to do in Fiji, you might ask? Not at the moment, it's pissing down with rain!), maybe even try and stomach one more can of Fiji Bitter. Probably not, actually...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thats sounds so good, warmed me up a little until I looked outside and saw the wonderful weather ireland has to offer this time of the year!!!! glad you are still having a good time

Anonymous said...

It's good to have you back again Adam!!! It was weird to have no contact with you - like you'd fallen off the edge of the planet or something. Thanks dude, one day you might find that I take you up on that!! Wouldn't that be funny - open the door and there's Jizzle!!!!! Miss you heaps already!!!!