23 November 2005

Hot stuff comin' through!

Hello y'all!

It just seems to be getting hotter and hotter here in Fiji. Yesterday I wasn't able to do anything but sit beside the pool and bake, cooling off every fifteen minutes with a dip. Yeah I know, it's tough.

The one thing I wanted to comment on is the buses here. They are absolutely crazy! Most haven't got any windows, and if it rains they just slap down these tarpauline windows that get rolled away when it isn't raining. There is absolutely no way that they would be road worthy in just about every other country in the world. Most of the drivers are Indo-Fijians that never talk, which is understandable because speaking creates heat and the last thing you need on these buses is more heat.

On the plus side they are dirt cheap. I can take a bus all around the main island (about a seven or eight hour trip) for about $25. And that's FIJIAN dollars, remember. For me to get into town from where I'm staying costs me $.65!

Oh, and while I remember, I'm now living on less than $15/day, accomodation included. Not too bad. I haven't been to too many places where you can claim that. Now, if I was in South-East Asia, you could cut that down to about $5/day, but I'm not there so I am pretty happy with my daily costs. Anyone want a genuine Fijian necklace for Xmas? Not a problem. I can afford the $.95, don't worry about it...

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

I wanna necklace~! i do i do!